domingo, 7 de diciembre de 2008

Coltrane

One of the things I like about Buddhism is the concept of Enlightenment . Through meditation, and other pads teach by buddhist, one is able to reach a state of mind of prime intuition, direct knowledge, leading, perhaps, to the fact that everything is an illusion, suffering is something mental. I wish I could have a clear mind to get to stop thinking, but I can't, and the idea of trying meditation has always seem like a fair chance to find myself in another sphere.
Probably, a dog will have a good shot to get to that selfless state. For me, the words are the reason that makes it difficult to achieve any kind of higher knowledge. I speak out loud in my mind, in different languages, but always through words... its simpler for a dog :)... I remember that the problem of the words was one of the core issues in a lot of Cortazar's Rayuela chapters (my favorite book).
Anyway... I was talking with someone about this kind of issues, and then I remember a couple of times where I actually get to a point where I felt like I had left my body and just get in touch with some sort of prime intuition sphere, astral sphere, something higher.
One of those times was when having a jazz jam, playing saxophone, talking in notes, expressing myself through melodies, and nothing else, nor words or languages, just notes, not even thinking in my hands, just letting things flow, my senses where numb, a magical moment, where my fingers where always on tune, and the sounds stop being notes to become feelings. 

The second time was thanks to Coltrane while listening to the first part "Acknowledgement" in A love supreme. For a second there, my head stop thinking, and the saxophone became the road for my mind... hard to describe. Lets say I got some taste of Enlightenment, or at least the closest I ever been to a different state of mind.




A lot of things had been said about John Coltrane. The bottom line is, he was a master mind with a troubled soul, and he had the power to express himself in a sincere way. He came late in my life, but came really strong. Some people even see him as some kind of Dalai Lama, and even have a John Coltrane church... not so sure that was his original plan, but there's definitely something different about his jazz. So, here are some more tunes to catch up. Enjoy.


John Coltrane Quartet - My Favorite Things




John Coltrane - Naima




No hay comentarios: